Saturday, July 23, 2016

School Days!

Language school meant not a lot of time to write in English. I was trying really hard to think in French and get my kids to speak French. After two days of lessons and activities, my kids weren’t speaking as much French as I had hoped, so I stopped speaking English. That worked a little bit, but also really annoyed them. So I got the idea to offer two prize “Les Grand Prix” at the end of the week— the boy who spoke the best French (which would probably be won by Samuel) and the boy who spoke the most French— and that one would be truly up for grabs. 


Well, it totally worked; lo and behold it was Cooper who really started speaking a lot of French. I just knew it was all in there somewhere. It was great to see him shed his trepidation and go for it. He even said he was doing better at school with the speaking exercises and getting the other kids to speak French. English is really the common language for all of the kids at the language school and despite all of the counselors trying to get them to speak French, many of the kids revert to English.
Just playing Connect Four with my friends from Azerbijan and Latvia, like we do.


I think my kids have learned a lot of French even with our “here and there”approach. I can’t imagine how much they would learn if they stayed at the school for longer. Some of these kids spend weeks here in the summer living on campus or with families and learning French. We spoke to a German teenager who was here for five weeks and this was his third or fourth summer in Antibes. 

On the third day of classes, the boys were begging to come back for another summer. It was so sweet to hear them talking about how much fun they were having and how much they loved it. I have to say it meant a lot for me to hear them say that. I knew it was a big deal to take them away from their friends and home for so long; I was a little worried that they would not appreciate this experience. I guess I am accustomed to thinking that all kids are pretty short sighted (sorry!).

I met a parent who brought her daughter here for five weeks— they’re staying with a host family. I understand that you can learn a lot more French and culture by being “imbedded”- absolutely, but FIVE WEEKS? not sure about that. Sharing a kitchen and living in someone else's house- with my loud kids? That would not end well. Actually it would end with me finding an AirBnB to move to. Anyway— at the beginning of the week, after I had heard mostly English spoken at the school barbecue- I was expressing my worry to her that they wouldn’t learn much French. She replied- “well, at least they’re having fun.” I though - uh- BULLSHIT!? If I went through all of this and it doesn’t all work out and just I look back and say “well, at least they’re having fun!?” Sorry, but no. I send them to summer camp to have fun. I send them to France to speak French. 

Not a bad place to go to school and make new friends. 

And natch, I wish money was no object with my family, but of course it is. This is a big deal for us to do. I could have sent them to Camp Chanco and saved about $12k. I could have rented a really nice house in the Outer Banks; even so, if it rained every day and they were stuck inside watching movies, I would tell you that I still wouldn’t look back and say “well, at least they’re having fun.” I’d be pissed that there was something they missed out on.

So I am so happy that they turned it around this week and really proud of them for trying a lot of new things. At the end of the day, if they decided to study Japanese or something, I will know that this experience planted the seeds that changed them and their approach to all things different. 

Here’s what our week looked like:
Monday- test your French skills! We has to take written and oral exams to determine our levels for the classes. We were all convinced we were a level below where we should have been, but I think it turned out OK.
Tuesday- classes until noon, then Samuel had a field trip to Monaco, Bennett went to France’s version of Sea World and Cooper went to Cannes. I stayed after my class and had lunch with two friends that I made- a Norwegian and a Swiss. I wasn't convinced that I was getting enough practice speaking in class, so I considered adding intensive courses each afternoon. After a lovely lunch speaking a ton of French with them, I figured the intensive courses were $150 and the lunch was $10, so I’d just have lunch with them every day at school and save some money! Awesome. And I got to try French cafeteria food :)
Wednesday- classes until noon, then Samuel and I went out for Sushi- don’t laugh, it was the best I’ve ever had. The rice was delicious, now I know! Bennett went to the beach and Cooper got to go sailing. I was pretty excited that he got to go to sailing lessons, so after lunch I went to take some pictures. After checking in with a sailing instructor, I learned that the group on the water was from the school. I positioned myself perfectly on a jetty to catch the boats coming in and snapped away. Not one of them was Cooper, but I got some great shots of other children sailing! 
Sailing lessons on the Mediterranean.


Here they come, shepherded by the guys in boats.
It was so orderly and controlled. I don't know how they do it.
Thursday- classes until noon, then Samuel got ice cream with friends, Bennett got to sail and Cooper went to Marineland. He was excited to see the orcas but sadly, no pirranahs, so he was a bit disappointed. I’m not really sure why he thought he was entitled to see piranhas in France, but I don’t think Orcas are from here either. I walked my two friends home near Juan les Pins and realized that if I continued over the hilltop, I could see that town. After being here for so long the first time and now, I had never been there. It’s like Virginia Beach to Norfolk. More beach tourists, more hotels, overpriced oceanfront restaurants, even a board walk. I was disappointed to find that 80% of the beaches are private. To hang out on their beaches, you need to rent chairs and umbrellas from the hotels. Bummer. No wonder everyone raves about Antibes’ beaches. I walked quite a bit, trying to scope out a cool beach for me and the kids sometime. I sat on a bench to check out my map and realized I had been walking for three hours. I was so exhausted, I legs were still tired the next day!! I thought for sure I was going to come home fat this time because we weren’t touring so much- not a chance. Thankfully I got a bus back to Antibes with time to spare for a quick “do-do”- French for nap. I collapsed.
Juan les Pin- a little more elegant than Antibes, but not as charming.

Friday- classes until noon, then Samuel got ice cream with friends (hmmm, maybe he’s the one who’s coming home fat!?), Bennett went to Cannes and Cooper went to the beach. I had my last intensive lunch with my friends and we all said goodbye. My swiss friend said- I thought Americans were so stiff, but I really had fun with you! Aww- Friday after noon, I put the finishing touches on the itinerary for Taylor’s stay next week and made reservations. I was so dreading making the call to the hotel because French is hard, but over the phone— really hard! Luckily it all worked out and we’re heading to the Gorges of Verdon while he’s here to do some guided mountain biking. That region is described at France’s Grand Canyon and we’re all really excited to see it. 

How were my kids getting around to all of these things? Well I’m glad you asked. We covered this yesterday in my intensive lunch :) After day two of riding the public bus up to campus with the kids to get them settled, I let them ride the bus without me for the rest of the week. Each afternoon, I would either recoup them at one of their outings (if I could find them, which was not always a given) or I would ride the bus up to campus and wait for their return. The counselors didn’t always know where my kids were or when they would return (exactly). Now this is all quite unsettling for the American Mother. In Europe, they let their kids go to the market, ride the bus, go to school every day without adults around to supervise. Every. Day. Even my new friends know that American Mothers do not do this. 

Coming home from school-- LOOK Cooper had a nutella waffle in Cannes! (I hope that comes out in the wash!)

It wasn’t always like this for the American Mother. I remember going lots of places alone when I was a kid. When we’re in Antibes, my kids go lots of places without me. Taylor noticed this the first time he came. When we reached the old town- our kids disappeared! I know this is one of the things my kids like about being here. Ah- confidence! That and walkability. My kids can walk anywhere they want to go- bookstore, toy store, bakery, comic book store, beach. Definitely a good reason to choose a place like Antibes. Even this American Mother can let go a bit.





No comments:

Post a Comment